Monday, January 12, 2015

How the Inspired Room.net Inspired Me...

I recently stumbled upon The Inspired Room.net I think it awakened my organizational spirit again! I love organizing, thinking of creative ways to store things, staring at the finished product and having such a calming feeling. Lately, I had a sense of being overwhelmed, nothing was getting done and I felt like I was getting nowhere. After reading Melissa's morning routine, I was excited to get up in the morning! I wanted to start a routine!! Melissa is relate-able, she started talking about not having a day to day schedule but have a routine. Duh. Why haven't I been doing this all along. Why DO I have to clean a toilet on Tuesday??? I would start to hate Tuesdays! I was hooked immediately.

Thanks to TheInspiredRoom.net I woke up and wiped the sink out after I brushed my teeth. That was easy and so gratifying, usually I would stare at it in anger and think of all the things that I should clean. I was excited to have my morning coffee without diving into Etsy emails and orders. I read a post from her blog and filled out my New Year's resolution sheet that she had provided. This "quiet time" is going to be my "get inspired time". I wrote a reasonable list of things to do for the day without worrying about the time of day and what I should have accomplished by now if I woke up early like most people.

Being with a Chef, our household hours are a bit strange. Our day usually ends at 1am. I wait up every night to see Mike. I think it's healthy to spend quality time with your partner daily. He is the most talented chef I know and along with being a talented chef, comes the LONG hours. When I say long hours, I mean going to work at 9 am and coming home around midnight with not having a complete meal. Being a newly "retired" bartender, I speak first hand, restaurant life is tough. Only fellow industry peeps get it.We stay up and talk while he usually fills his hunger with pizza. (a chefs choice for late night eating) In the past I made myself feel guilty for working from home and not getting up at the crack of dawn and watch the sunrise. I have started a routine that works for me and it doesn't rely on the typical rise and shine at 6 am. I am sure this will all change when we have kids but for now it works. I am awake and full of energy when he comes home late so we can somehow have a normal relationship when we see each other, even though it is in the middle of the night.

Click to Download The Inspired Room's Home Goals Sheet
Back to my day!....Ironically after reading about cleaning your toilet because it needs to be done today, not because it's a Tuesday, I cleaned the bathroom today. (Tuesday)
I wrote down my routine during my quiet time eating a light breakfast of granola and yogurt. I was going to do this! AND stick to it.
I started a load of laundry and decided when it was time to turn it over I would work out. Seems like a perfect amount of time to let the heater warm back up. Working out...new for me!!! After my work out I felt so great, why not mop the floors before the shower so it would feel clean all day!


The next piece of advice that I kept from The Inspired Room was getting fully dressed! It is amazing how different you feel when you blow dry your hair and put on "real clothes". After feeling so fresh and so clean I made a turkey wrap and decided to eat it at the counter instead of in front of the tv. You aren't getting me sucked in today HGTV! Instead, I took the dog for a walk to drop my orders off at the post office. When I returned, Caden was happy and I was refreshed and motivated to start on new orders. Yes, it is mid-day and most people are almost done with their work day. The point is, don't be hard on yourself because you don't wake up at 6am for that morning run before work at 8. Not everyone has a 9-5 schedule, my work day starts around noon after my morning routine and work out. Sounds crazy to some but I finally realized that it doesn't matter what time of day it is on the clock. Do what works for you and find your own routine. What makes you excited to get up and get your day started. Here is to a morning routine this New Year!
Mommy...did you make the bed just for me??

P.S. I even made the bed this morning. I highly recommend it. It something that I have rarely done in the past but every time I do, it feels so much better and you want to keep your room clean. Resolution: Make Bed, unless you and your partner plan on spending the day in it :)


No comments:

Post a Comment